Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Give 'Em The (Brogue) Boot



[Pictured: Florsheim by Duckie Brown brougue boot available here for $425.  Picture courtesy of Foward via Selectism.]

With all the hooplah surrounding workboots this season a much more refined incarnation of the boot is getting overlooked.  I've been after a pair of brogue boots for a while and today's post on Selectism featuring the brogue boot from Florsheim by Duckie Brown seems to have flanned the flames.  The brogue boot is a great weekly shoe, especially in the fall.  It pairs up great with your heavier fabric suits (or slacks) for work and looks just as great with your more casual cords and denim for your post work shenanigans.  Let's be honest, your Red Wings probably wont fly in the boardroom while, on the flip side, your buddies may be intimidated by the gloss of your Aldens.  The brogue boot treads this middleground and is one of the few shoes that's classy enough for the office, yet wont overdress you when you're hanging out with your buddies come Saturday night.  It very well may be the best "dress shoe" (if you can even call it that) you can have this fall. 

Like any good boot or dress shoe, these don't typically come cheap and you're most likely going to be breaking the piggy bank.  If this is the case, you'll at least be coming away with a seasonal shoe that should last you a long time.  If the Florsheim by Duckie Brown brogue boot price is a little too rich for your blood try these alternative offerings, which hit in the sub $300 range. You can also try your hand at securing something on eBay.  And oh yeah, go brown because it is fall, you want to be able to see the details after you spend all that money and, well, I personally don't think the brogue boot should be offered in any other color anyway.

p.s. If anyone knows of anything cheaper please let me know because If I could get a pair of these for around $200 I'd be forever in your debt.

7 comments:

  1. No doubt that the brogue boot is a gorgeous piece, and really, once you have one work boot, how many do you need? Dress shoes on the other hand...
    Once I'm in a position where I should start wear dress shoes to work (I spend my most recent summer lifeguarding and painting fences) I plan on adding a brogue boot to my wardrobe.

    Side note: I'm guessing you've seen the competition over at Ivy Style. Quite a giveaway, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enthusiast - You could be the most stylish fence painter in a pair of these...

    As per Ivy Style's giveaway...I put my best comment forward, which at the time seemed way better than it does now. Luckily I have a burgundy/gray Norweigan already, not that I wouldn't mind adding another...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again:

    Those are on the line to trend with all the wing tip details. You want boots, try these:

    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523&Product_Id=997204&Parent_Id=522&default_color=BROWN&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

    Wait till they go on sale end of season and snatch them up for 50% off, usually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAM - I am a fan of suede chukkas, but all wingtip trending aside, I can't get the brogue boots out of my head. They are just as classic as the suede chukka anyhow and with all the dessert boot/suede boot love of recent, those kicks are kinda on the line to trend as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard those shoes are very resistant so I think they're a little bit unfashionable I don't know because they seem like my grandfather was wearing some years ago, I think other colors would be perfect to catch the people attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just picked up a pair of 1901 brogue boots for $100. They are more casual but a great, cheap pick for the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi...Really nice job...It think you shared great knowledge with us. This is very good post for reading. your stuff interesting for reading. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete