Friday, October 30, 2009

Style Icons: Good Vibrations

I am an unapologetic Beach Boys fan and have even been known to bust out a few tunes accapella every now and then when I get a couple of drinks in me.  As I was running errands earlier this afternoon and rocking out to "Barbara Ann" I began to think of breazy, 1960's California.  Since it's Friday and Halloween and all that good stuff I figured an easy/fun Beach Boys retrospective was in order.  Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't exactly fall style, but dont tell that to the guy speeding through south Charlotte, sunglass clad and blasting surf rock.


[All those "boy bands" from the 60's started out matchy-matchy.  If you're gonna do it at least do it right.  I love the short sleeve, button down collar shirt for S/S.  I'm digging the bold stripes too.]


[Again with the group outifts, though this time its all about the "cool", i.e. cool 'Vette, even cooler jackets.  Chinos, a white oxford and golf jacket in that perfect shade of blue looks just as good today as it did then.]


[An outatke from the iconic Pet Sounds cover shoot.  Just as the boys were hitting their creative stride musically, so were their outfits.  There is a ton of cool stuff going on in this picture, but none more striking than Brian Wilson's brass button peacoat.]


[If you ever wondered how to properly wear a beard look no further.  Even with beards The Beach Boys are looking cool and keeping cool.  Dennis Wilson (top right) does it better than most.]


[Desptie dozens of line-up changes and "Kocomo" you can't deny everything these guys had going on in their prime.  It's a shame they often get overlooked when the whole "Best Band Ever" debate comes up.  Let "America's Band" play you into the weekend.]

-L.A.S

Sart Inc's Beach Boys Playlist:
"Little Deuce Coupe"
"Do You Wanna Dance?"
"I Get Around"
"Help Me, Rhonda"
"Barbara Ann"
"California Girls"
"Wouldn't It Be Nice"
"Sloop John B."
"Good Vibrations"
"Heroes And Villians"

2 comments:

  1. Weird. A few weeks ago I was at my girlfriend's parents house and I put on some Beach Boys for dinner music. Big fan. I would add Be True to your School to the music list. "Wouldn't it Be Nice" is probably the greatest pop song ever in my head. I like the Ramones cover of Do you Wanna Dance a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disaffected - The Beach Boys are fantastic dinner party music. Do you wanna dance may be my #1 song from their catalog, and yeah that Ramones' cover is crazy good.

    ReplyDelete