Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Bean Boot Project: Southern Gent Guest Post

Daryl already has the Sartorially Inclined cosign, but when you have a blog as enjoyable as his you're bound to find yourself caught in a rainstorm of praise every so often.  As a citizen of the south, blogs like Daryl's really hit home.  Much like Skip's blog, mentioned the other day, Southern Gent is not so much about clothes or style, as it is about a way of life...a way of life that includes happy hours, tailgating, hunting and lots and lots of madras.  If there was ever a lifestyle to aspire to I'd like to think it lives somewhere over at SG.

Much like any southern gent, The L.L. Bean boot means a lot to Daryl.  His memories connected to the shoe are what drives his appreciation for it and that is the focus of his guest post.  Daryl taps into the nostalgia of a time spent with good friends, when the booze was flowing and the field was muddy.  The image he sent over was particularly striking and I'm sure you all will get as much of a kick out of it as I did.  Thanks to Daryl, both a favorite blogger of mine and a good friend, for sending over this piece.

Mocs In The Mud

"After years having duck boots of all brands except by the venerable Maine outfitter, I finally decided to start my collection of the real deal with the Bean Moc. Living in the South we don't get that much snow, yet tons of rain year round and figured I would wear them with shorts during summer thunderstoms, tromping around the country in the fall, through inch high snow in the winter and muddy puddles during spring showers.

Shortly after the Mocs arrived from Bean in the spring of 2005, horrible rain showers fell on Charlottesville, VA making Foxfields Races a muddy mess. Together with my friend Pamela, this picture was snapped to capture the moment. I remember it as the first of many fond memories I've shared not only with good friends, but my L.L.Bean Bean Boot Mocs."



-L.A.S

[Note: Head here for the project's backstory. Also, If you are reading this and I requested a submission from you or if you would just like to participate please feel free to submit (contact via email). Your participation, as always, is still much anticipated and appreciated.]

8 comments:

  1. Wow, bean mocs and highwater seersucker? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lawrence - I'm flattered by your kind words, again.

    Conor - rolled those pants up to keep from getting destoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dickie you should swing by Alex Grant's blog to see the proper technique for aquiring the requisite "tongue down" of the moc...XXOO
    www.alexandergrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. Plus, there's just something about girls in Bean rubber mocs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. This is going to be my desktop picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pic! Totally captures the essence of the bean boots without saying one word. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's your opinion on mocs in shorts for men. I love these shoes so much I warn to ware them in the summer months with shorts as well winter. What would be a good top and bottom pair for these shoes?

    ReplyDelete