Monday, November 23, 2009

Lusting After: Washed Brogues




[Pictured: Our Legacy Brogue Washed Leather available for $291.00.]

A while back I remember checking out a Billy Reid S/S '10 preview (I can't recall where).  As you can imagine the collection featured Reid's typical fair of combining European tailoring with down south sensibilities.  While this kind of stuff is always a pleasure to check out, and hopefully own, what really caught my eye were a pair of washed brown brogues.  I had never really come across such a striking pair of shoes and ever since I've been on the lookout for something similar.  Unfortunately I've yet to find a similar shoe until this afternoon when Swipe Life featured a new washed brogue being offered by Our Legacy.

The washed brogue from Our Legacy even surpasses what Billy Reid was offering due to its longwing broguing and I've never been one to hide my love for the longwing. This particular shoe is everything one can hope for in a washed leather shoe and has instantly moved to the top of my "Lusting After" list (especially since I now own a pair of shoes from Mark McNairy's Red Brick Sole collection).

What's so great about the washed brogue, or any washed out leather, is the new life given to a garment based around such a simple detail.  The fading and matte finish created by the washing process completely alters the entire "idea" of the shoe.  Without getting too meta on you guys, I really love how a washed brogue presents a engaging juxtaposition between the relaxed look of the leather and the fancy intricacies that are associated with broguing.  While I am on the lookout for any shoe even somewhat similar I still can't seen to scrounge up any alternate options (feel free to post anything you have come across in the comments) and I am slowly approaching the idea of trying the washing process out myself.  This is no easy feat by any means and if I do plan on doing this I will keep you guys updated.  For a guide to washing leather, check out this primer Blackbird posted a while back.  Stay tuned.

-L.A.S



3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are great. I like the perforation along the tongue and the pull tabs, those are some old school features you don't really see anymore.

    A good pair of shoes and a proper suit are the only things I'd pay good money for if not found in a second hand store. Those definitely look worth it.

    Btw, I just ordered my Persol 2880 eyeglasses with the transitions lenses, I should have them in about a week. I'm about as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fantastic collection, I also enjoyed a lot watching that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    shoes for boys

    ReplyDelete