Friday, January 22, 2010

Debate: Sperry Seamate vs. Bahama

Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.  Sperry's Seamate reissue is part of their 75th Anniversary Collection and is a great looking shoe, but seems vaguely familiar.  Most boat shoe enthusiasts will recognize this model from its almost identical appearance to the Sperry Bahama, one of the brand's standards.  Upon further inspection a few minor differences do jump out like the Seamate's not so level 360 degree lacing, some sole styling and it's old school logos.  I'm all for digging into the archives and releasing exclusive makeups, but for $25 more I can't say for sure the Seamate is worth it.  I mean, look at these. They are virtually the exact same shoe.  Is this a case of "overpriced vintage"?  Is this irresponsible on Sperry's part (pulling a fast one on the consumer)? Do you even care?

Seamate


vs.

Bahama

 


-L.A.S

10 comments:

  1. I want the seamate for the colors, and know that the bahama will last you 3-4 months of decent to heavy use tops before falling apart

    ReplyDelete
  2. sperry's trying to be slick

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like the seamate has a raised toe? vibes more like a sneaker to me. still a really subtle difference.



    ps. BELIEVE2010

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe those are just really expensive cotton laces compared to the leather laces on the Bahama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't really care cuz both are a little fugly but I think they are trying to get some of that "authentic" money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I like the Seamate and I'll be wearing it. There are enough subtle differences in my mind to warrant the distinction between the two and it's more to my taste. I'd also just as soon be in boat shoes rather than the Bahama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wore the Seamate or its twin 25 years ago. These two shoes couldn't be further apart in fit. The Bahama always felt cheap in comparison. No other boat shoe fit me the same way. I'm thrilled to find Sperry brought Seamate back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've owned both. seamates are miles better than the bahamas in durabilty, comfort and overall style. the pictures dont translate to opening up the box and tossing them on your toes. if you can't see the 25 dollar difference in the picture you will when you get them in your hands and on your feet.

    ReplyDelete