Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Gap's New Utility Collection

Never missing an opportunity to capitalize on what's popular, Gap's new collection of utility inspired classics has hit the scene.  The direct quote from the website: "Want to fall in line with the new military trend? We'll show you the key pieces to pull off the look."  There is also the required: "Inspired by the originals. Made new for today."

I was initially pumped when Patrick Robinson took over at Gap and was pretty impressed with lots of his initial stuff, but recently they just haven't been doing it for me.  The Utility Collection is in line with a lot of those recent "meh" offerings and I probably won't be buying this gear anytime soon.  Yeah, the price points are user friendly, but it all just feels so watered down.  Maybe I'm spoiled. Maybe I'm a snob. I don't know.  Regardless, if you want to load up on some wardrobe staples or just check out the multimedia attached to the collection (a real nice touch actually) be sure to head on over.  Check out some of the new pieces:


 
 
 
 

-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. Miss. It's kind of annoying how Gap can take a pretty classic pattern/design and still end up making it look like it came from the Gap. If that makes sense..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big snooze... GAP hasn't been inspiring since they carried leather jeans a decade ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making inexpensive versions of J Crew clothes isn't difficult (see Land's End Canvas), but Gap somehow screws it up. Also, I can't get behind this cargo pants revival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind cargos, but only Daiki seems to be doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think you got this one right. I think the safari shirt looks pretty good, saw it in the store the other day, but for the most part it's all pretty unoriginal and boring. I think they did a good job on the jeans, but little else has really impressed me. I've got a friend who works for Gap corporate who told me they were going to be redoing their khakis this year; I hope these aren't the results. Got to agree with S. Belden on the cargo pants though--no thank you, please got back to 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree 100% with Wingtip. Always something a bit off with this stuff, and it always looks Gap-ey.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site

    ReplyDelete