Friday, January 8, 2010

The Half Tuck




[Pictured (second from left): Save Khaki's David Mullen demonstrates how to properly rock "the half tuck" in the pages of GQ.]

To say the half tuck is complicated is an understatement.  When done right you are a styling chap with just the right amount of sprezzatura and when done even a tad bit wrong you're a living, breathing Old Navy mannequin.  I wish there were some concrete rules to this advanced sartorial move, but alas not a single one is firmly established.

The half tuck is truly a shot in the dark as far as I am concerned; sometimes it works and sometimes it fails...hard.  Someone may be able to tell you exactly why, but definitely not me.  I have found that the best way to go about half tucking to to give it a go and then to inspect the results before you head out the door (not too thoroughly because that would defeat the purpose.  In fact, maybe this entire post is defeating the purpose). If it works you will know and if it doesn't simply decide to go all in or all out.

Over time you may develop a Jedi like "feel" for the half tuck and who knows, it may even become natural someday.  Regardless, the whole "perfectly imperfect" thing is highly coveted by many stylish cats due in part to how tough it is to actually pull off correctly.  If you don't subscribe to the half tuck and prefer a look much more put together I don't blame you.  There truly is a time and a place for everything.  Maybe the half tuck's is when getting shot by The Sartorialist...

 

 

 

[Pictured (above and below): The half tuck's cousin, the front tuck]



-L.A.S

20 comments:

  1. Hummm...big fan of Half Tucks little cousin Front Tuck but not sure on Half. Has that trendy feel to it that I seek to avoid. But you have me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it would be interesting to see a back shot. That's where I could see the tuck going south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frame 2 should be enough to warn anyone off stylists prank...

    Whether you pull it off or not, any association with that particular plum should be avoided at all costs.

    With regard to Mullen at the top - all I see is a guy who should know better that's allowed a stylist to mess about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could possibly justify the front tuck (also known as the "frat tuck"), but the half tuck? No way. It just looks completely affected and like that person is trying way too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Trip said is where I'm at - this reminded me of the 'frat tuck' when I first saw it. The 'half tuck' looks a little to 'on purpose' for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trip/JRS- Regardless of the contrivance that may or may not be the half tuck, the frat tuck is very close to my heart. I had a few fraternity brothers that rocked it exclusively for 4 years and I have been known to do it myself when I get in the zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. front tuck with tee or polo, yes*. half tuck is just stupid. notice there are no pictures of the back. i'd like to see the back of someone who thinks they are pulling this off. (*bastian can do whatever he wants)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like the half-tuck MUST be done accidentially (or serendipitously, whichever you prefer), which is why there are no guidelines. It has to just happen. Otherwise it looks far too calculated and, ultimately, toolish. I think people can tell instinctually if something is preplanned or if it's accidental.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The front tuck, or frat tuck, is my style. I've tucked just the front of my t-shirt or any casual shirt like this since college. I always do it, compulsively I suppose. Now I'm glad to know there is a name for this and not just my dorky way of not tucking a shirt in fully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last image of Michael Bastian may be my favorite Sart image of all time.

    Regarding tucks, I remember the days of the half tuck polo/t shirt with a white crew neck undershirt fondly.

    AE/A&F pushed that look hard too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, cartel leader and brutal assassin El Diego arrested in Mexico: Rocks The Half Tuck for the Perp walk!

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZbliQX83Q-Y/TjWPcQy4sjI/AAAAAAAAAV4/S3QLBhzZ67E/s1600/110731-hernandez-vmed-10a.grid-4x2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. could a model wear a cheap shirts just to see how good they are?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each of those guys looks like a pathetic douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I love you. Love, another anonymous.

      Delete
  15. Ridiculous looking...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The front tuck works much more easily than a half tuck which I think requires a very specific body type and very specific clothing type - way too hard for the average joe schmoe to pull off - I'd warn against trying it unless you don't mind looking really bad for the sake of experimentation

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very experimental with my tucks. it's a very seldom used style and like said before the right clothing is a big thing. I found from personal experience and for myself that it works best when wearing some sort of button shirt under a sweater. it really just takes the right clothing and almost color matching. it does look a little off at first and I was skeptical about going to school like this (I'm in high school) but a lot of people do think it looks nice if done right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The half tuck looks fine with me. as long as you are slim of course and I have been doing it for over 15 years. The trick is to make it look accidental and so doing it very quickly and without much thought is best. The back may look sloppy but that is how its supposed to look in the first place being "casual".

    ReplyDelete