Friday, February 12, 2010

All The Way Turned Up

Newgrass posted on the sartorial technique of buttoning your shirt all the way to the top sans neckwear a little while back, but since his blog is on an indefinite hiatus I wanted to take this chance to revisit.  This particular move took some warming up to on my end, but when done right I think it is an easy way to take your kit from that of a beginner to a hard nosed veteran.  Granted this move is a little too fashion-y for some and that's exactly how I felt when I saw trendy Euro skinny guys dropping their neckties.  Now that the buttoned to the top movement is showing up in a much more classic sense (and I don't mean that in an ignorant xenocentric way) my eyes have been opened.  A few months ago I would have never imagined a well styled guy rocking this, but now I'm thinking it is a great way to add a little panache to your game.  If you don't believe me check out the "all the way turned up" on your friendly neighborhood blogger and last night at the GQ/CFDA Best New Menswear Designers In America showcase. By the way, congratulations to Billy Reid for taking home the win and the spoils.

-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. what's crazy is that down South, at least for the fashion forward african-american population, we've been doing this for years except we do it with our polos. more specifically our Ralph Lauren polos.

    #Savage

    ReplyDelete
  2. been wearing shirts that way for years. see above statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing extremely new... It's for some people and not for others... *hint* It helps if you have a skinny neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lawrence, I don't know if you checked out the slide show on gq's website for this yet-were you at this event?- but it is in my opinion the most on-point slideshow I have ever seen
    http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/complete/F2010MEN-BND?page=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim- I was not there and you're right, that is a great slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this look best with a club collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KJ- I get what you're saying, but when's the last time you wore neckwear with a polo? So in regards to the steeze you've been on for a minute: similar, but different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this look, have been rocking it since the middle of 09, it does set you apart from most people.

    ReplyDelete