Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lusting After: Black Fleece Double Monk Strap Shoes

 

[Pictured: Black Fleece double monk strap in black pebbled leather available for $550.00.]

At this point in my life many of my sartorial inclinations have become more predictable than a drunken sorority chick.  If there is one type of shoe I love more than the rest it has to be the double monk strap - hands down, there is no question and I'm not afraid to show it.  I'm still in the process of tracking down the perfect pair(s) and when I see one I like you'd probably have to threaten to kill me to keep me from throwing it up on the blog. 

These Black Fleece (designed by Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers, but you already knew all that) double monks are special because of a few key features.  For starters they are in a pebbled, or scotch grain or granulated, leather.  I love scotch grain for its roughness and texture and it looks so great when on a shoe so obviously rakish.  The absence of a cap toe is another feature I am drawn to, not for the fact that I am against cap toe shoes or anything of the sort, but because most double monks these days are spruced up with one.  I guess I'm just a sucker for people doing things a little bit different.

So why should you spend 550 clams on these shoes?  Well, that my friends is a question you must answer for yourself.  But, I will say that quality is not something Thom Browne or Brooks Brothers ever lacks when it comes to their goods.  If you still have doubts check out Jeremy's new series called "Wear and Tear".  First up is a pair of Thom Browne wingtips and from what I can tell they pass the almost 3 year test by holding up spectacularly.  The only downside is, of course, their $1000+ price tag, but that's where Black Fleece comes in.  Do I want to buy a beautiful Thom Browne designed shoe for half price? Abso-fruitly.


-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. What's not to love about drunken sorority chicks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. if these come out in brown...could pull the trigger unless someone can tell me where to find the Mark McNairy double monkstraps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they'd be better in brown pebble grain....narrowly missed a pair in Barney's sale (half size too small)....and monks SHOULDN'T have a toe cap or any decoration on the vamp for that matter.....that's their appeal.....acres of polished virgin leather or suede peeping out from beneath your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brummagem Joe- Agree with you on all counts here besides the decorative aspect because in my eyes the entire vamp, especially the buckles, are just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pebbled = pimp. I'm with Joe - these need to come out in brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually usually don't like pebble grain leather... but these are choice. Please buy them, Lawrence, so I can live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoes are an important member of the fashion parade. You can effortlessly avoid hats, sunglasses and watches but shoes are something more than an accessory, which you cannot bypass. However, most men are least interested in the prevailing fashion trends. safety shoes online india

    ReplyDelete