Friday, February 19, 2010

A Week With Glenn O'Brien

Glenn O'Brien is one of those "preaching to the choir" types, meaning his style is so on point that when you bring him up it's almost as if you are preaching to the choir.  Everything from his pedigree (GQ's The Style Guy, ex-head of Interview Magazine, host of TV Party) to his wardrobe is top notch and it's rare to see this guy not looking straight up fly.

GQ's 5x7 portrait series by Bill Gentle follows a bunch of menswear movers and shakers (including fellow blogger Mr. Mort) during this past New York Fashion week, capturing them in a variety of kits and providing commentary from its subjects.  Mr. O'Brien is the undisputed focus of this as far as I am concerned and it's pretty cool to approach his pictures as a winter sartorial primer courtesy of The Style Guy himself.  Check out a week in the wardrobe of Glenn O'Brien below and be sure to take some time to view the entire 5x7 feature if you haven't already - it's brimming with inspiration and is for sure the best thing GQ has done in a minute.

2/12/2010


"This is the big snow day. People panic like a volcano is erupting. This is my warmest coat, a gift from Adam Kimmel. I won't fall down in my Timberlands. I'm also wearing a Bates of London hat, a Hermès jumper and scarf, a Charvet shirt, and a vintage Calvin Curtis tie. Why? Why not?"

2/13/2010


"I'm having lunch with my agent so I wore my vintage Calvin Curtis dollar sign tie, and it seemed to go with the slightly violet Richard James suit, the Charvet shirt, and the Black Fleece boots. Too bad you can't see the violet houndstooth Paul Smith socks."

2/14/2010


"Oscar and I are off to the United Bamboo show, so I'm wearing my U.B. parka. Sweater by Margiela, shirt Black Fleece, tie Agnes B., paddock boots Church's, jeans Levi 501, sunglasses Balenciaga. Oscar's clothes: Little Marc jacket, crewcuts thermal, Bellerose jeans. He picked 'em out."

2/15/2010


"Here's the scoop on Sunday: I went to the Calvin Klein men's show today, so I dressed a little like Calvin does. Jeans, white shirt, no tie. The camel hair coat is Margiela, white button down Thom Browne Black Fleece, sweater by Nom de Guerre, 501 jeans, Paul Smith socks, Alden cordovan saddle shoes."

2/16/2010


"I got these real Cheyenne mocs (bespoke) for Valentine's from the Missus, fulfilling a longtime yen. Margiela sweater, John Pearse jacket, A.P.C. Jeans."

2/17/2010


"This is my favorite suit—it's Anderson & Sheppard. The label is dated 20/10/97. What does that say about men's fashion? New shirt bought at Charvet in Paris ten days ago, Hermès tie from this fall. Vintage gold cufflinks a gift from Michael Zilkha, the greatest A & R man of my generation."

2/18/2010


"After a week of shows and parties in additional to the usual load I went for comfort today with an old Issey Miyake coat, hand-knit sweater I picked up in Hydra, Greece, black jeans from Carhartt, Paul Smith socks and black calf 'Mr.Casual' Belgian shoes."

-L.A.S

9 comments:

  1. He mentions his socks often but we don't get to see them... bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd picture, the small chest on top of the book case. I REALLY want to know more about that chest. It's got "story" written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see Glenn looking consistently well-put together. Sometimes when I see him pop up on the Sartorialist, I've questioned his choices. He always is entertaining on the GQ podcast, when he's on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he looks exactly the same from his tv party days i adore him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He went to Georgetown...how could he not be stylish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone should ask him about banging Kate Moss about 6-7 years ago -- while he was married.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much for this great put up;this is the type of thing that keeps me going via these day. I’ve been trying round for this site after being referred to them from a buddy and was pleased when I found it after trying to find some time. Being a avid blogger, I’m pleased to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Simply needed to remark to point out my appreciation in your article because it’s very appleaing, and many writers do not get authorization they deserve. I'm sure I’ll drop by once more and will advocate to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks rather a lot for display reasonably helpful informations. Your website is great.I'm impressed by the data that you have on this blog. It shows how very effectively you notice this subject. Bookmarked this process net page, will arrive again again for lots more. You, my buddy, superb! I discovered simply the data I beforehand appeared for everywhere and simply could not come across. What a superb web site. Much like this internet site your site is one in every of my new favorite.I resembling this information shown and it has given me some sort of motivation to have accomplishment for some trigger, so maintain up the beneficial work!

    ReplyDelete