Friday, March 19, 2010

Chambray Shorts

As beautiful as New Jersey summers can be my appreciation for warm weather fabrics didn't really grow until I starting living in the south.  Attending tailgates with dudes kitted out in seersucker and madras felt like some weird social experiment at first, but as I took in the functionality and then the form it all kind of clicked.  It was around this time that chambray entered my own personal lexicon as well.  While chambray never caught fire in my neck of the woods, I think I was the only guy with anything chambray in college ("Dude, are you seriously wearing a jean shirt?"), I did learn to truly appreciate everything it had to offer.

I've never really been on the lookout for any type of chambray bottom, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the idea - it's breathable, classic and has a distinct look/feel to it.  When actually shopping for chambray shorts you're more than likely to run across a variety of women's options with not much on tap for the gents.  After some admittedly minimal research I did stumble upon a nice pair courtesy of Lands End Canvas for $34.50.  As with most of the LEC offerings, it's good looking and cheap.  Having a chambray workshirt from the brand I can speak to the quality of the fabric though their chambray is much softer (washed) than what you would normally expect.  Imagine these cuffed with some Vans Authentics and a white tee - bam, weekend kit on smash.  I guess it also comes down to my enjoyment of reversing fabrics meaning wearing something normally reserved for the top on the bottom or vice versa (i.e. khaki/denim shirts, chambray/gingham shorts).  Anyway, with all the talk revolving around L.L. Bean Signature, talk that is much deserved, it feels good to give Lands End Canvas a little shine.


-L.A.S

8 comments:

  1. Those are definitely on the shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might go with these. I had my mind set on those jcrew oxford shorts but ehh. The inseam on these looks a little long though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look dangerously close to jean shorts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right on the money, Win; way too close to jean shorts. I vote no.

    This whole chambray "trend" is running away like what food people did with bacon. Bacon everything! Chambray everything! (Ok, a bit hyperbolic, but still).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The return of chambray is bad enough, but in shorts? I'll probably have a pair by the summer.

    www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look a lot too long for my liking but I'd cuff them a few times and they'd be fine. I was going to ask if you have any experience with their oxford shirts, and whether their "refined" fit equates to something like, say, rugby as well but then realised they don't even ship to Australia... Shame, that really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are pretty awesome. I am not a jorts enthusiast, too many UF connotations, but I think those will work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this blog by searching for Chambray shorts, b/c I saw in a Macy's the other day brand new Polo Ralph Lauren Chambray shorts, $125. I haven't seen them in the other Macy's stores by me, in Miami, fl. and was wondering if anyone else out there has come across them yet.

    Check out my sartorial blog:

    www.TheLookofLemon.com

    ReplyDelete