Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Eternal

I finally got around to watching Control this weekend and I can say without a doubt it is one of the top biopics I have ever seen.  The story (more of a myth at this point) of Joy Divison and Ian Curtis is enthralling, heartbreaking and stylish as hell.  In their short time on this earth Joy Division represented quintessential English style and mood - dark, brooding, cigarettes, trenches, military inspired everything.  Control, shot in black and white, does a marvelous job of capturing Joy Division's iconic image and is full of sartorial inspiration.  Whether or not you are a fan of the band the movie is a serious lesson in post-punk, early 1980's, Brit cool.  You can read more about Joy Division's style influence here.



-L.A.S

4 comments:

  1. glad you posted about this—I really liked this movie too. Gave me a new reason to listen to Joy Division's music (and a huge crush on Alexandra Maria Lara (Annik), who you should have included more screenshots of).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fucking great is that continuous walking shot with "No Love Lost" and "HATE" painted on the back of his coat? So fucking great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe- Alexandra is a LOOKER.

    Brady- I love that tracking shot. One of the best in the movie for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an utterly brilliant film isn't it. I made my girlfriend watch it when it came out so she would understand why I love this band so much.

    At the end she turned to me in tears and just said "now I get it". A tragic end to a phenomenal band. They couldn't have come from anywhere else, they were the sound of Manchester in the 70's.

    It's also worth watching the documentary film simply titled 'Joy Division'if you haven't already seen it. I was lucky enough to be invited to the premier a few years back and it was a rather moving experience.

    ReplyDelete