Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lusting After: Lacoste Red! Polos

I don't wear polos anymore (though some of the new L.L. Bean Signature ones appear on point) and it's not because I don't think they are cool.  It's so hard to find a great looking, well fitting one without looking like a total boner - less Ronnie, more Arnie.  Band of Outsiders is currently peddling their super duper hip "This is not a polo shirt", but for my money I personally like Lacoste Red! (ensuing absurd Japanese website).  Lacoste Red! is creative director Christophe Lemaire's attempt at channeling "60's mods & 80's street golf" (anyone care to explain what the hell street golf is) and all fashion mumbo jumbo aside, it looks pretty damn smashing with a trimmed up fit.  The polos are in the same vein as BOO's, i.e. they toe the line between retro and modern, but are a tad cheaper and way richer in heritage.  While I normally shy away from branding, I have always dug Lacoste's iconic croc (that's right, it's not an alligator, what up Wikipedia).  If you happen to be in the market for something like this you can pick them up here.


-L.A.S

13 comments:

  1. The second one from the top is on point. But you haven't checked my site out recently because if you did you'd see I switched up the stripe pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vicious.
    1st few remind me of sum Fred Perry polos
    i feel you on the "not feeling" polo thought too man....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that polos only came in two colors: solid white and solid navy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OldSchool- Where do you buy your polos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on this one. I NEVER wear polos but these are dope. The slightly retro feel is a nice look - reminds me of The Baumer [http://www.wilson-brothers.com/luke/photos/new/02/richie.jpg]

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would almost be cooler if these didn't have the "croc" on'em. Since it's a one off style the cut of these definitely says Lacoste. Sorry, maybe I'm reaching a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to check out the BoO polos, but the $150 price tag had me seeking alternatives. You should check out the Fred Perry slim fits, got mine last week for $85. Proper for the summer on that Match Point tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "OldSchool- Where do you buy your polos?"

    L.A.S.:

    Anywhere that only sells polos in navy and white.

    ("Classic and understated", remember?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OldSchool- I asked because I don't know of any establishment that only sells blue and white. Please enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wait until the end of the season, when the Crayola crowd have depleted supplies.

    Navy and/or white are usually the only choices left, and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very reminiscent of a Fred Perry vintage quality. Really digging the black and the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure why everyone "isn't feeling" the whole polo thing. I mean, c'mon, they're 'the' summer shirt. There's no reason to go flopping around in a BD in 95 degree weather at your grandparents barbecue. Man invented short sleeves for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my book, a dress shirt is an oxford cloth buttondown, when worn with a tie.

    A "sportshirt" is the very same shirt, sans necktie, unbuttoned at the neck, with the sleeves rolled up to below the elbows.

    ReplyDelete