Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lands End Canvas Crew Neck

Somewhere in between a 20 dollar Champion sweatshirt at Kohls and a 200 dollar crewneck from a Japanese mens store with a goofy name lies the Lands End Canvas crew neck sweatshirt.  It's just under 40 bones, which automatically moves it to the top of my list - right on past the destroyed joint going for more than double at J. Crew.  There's no need to go into the many ways a crew neck can work for you, but I will say that it is one of the most versatile pieces in any guy's arsenal ([insert style icon] would agree) that is perfect for spring layering. 

As a guy who has quite a few pieces from Lands End Canvas I can attest to their fit.  While it's not perfect, and what really is anyhow, it's damn good.  The knits I do own fit extremely well and I don't feel/look like a bum when I walk out the door.  Aside from fit, LEC gives you the standard details you should be looking for in your crewneck - grey and blue color options, ribbed neck and cuffs, no silly branding and the triangular stitching under the collar that has become this garments calling card throughout the years.  I'm not sure how lazy some of you are, but when it comes to purchases like this I often like to grab two sizes (the pricepoint here helps) that I can pick and choose between.  When I find the one that gives me what I'm looking for I just return the other.  LE is notorious for their helpful customer service reps and return policy so have no fear of swimming in a sea of heather cotton.


-L.A.S

20 comments:

  1. I was looking at this one too. Toss up between this one and the one at Martin & Osa. I bought the LEC waxed cotton pea coat and kept the large. Think Large would work in this too then? What are your thoughts on the M&O?

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.A.S. - Any washing techniques that can give it a little weathered look or is that unnecessary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The JCrew sweatshirt always confused me a bit. Why would anyone want spunk stains on their sweatshirt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CANYC- As for your size it really depends on how trim you like your sweatshirts. My size differential in LEC outerwear and knits is about a size...I have a medium raincoat and should have gone with the small, while my medium knits fit great.

    M&O also make a great crew neck and with prices dropping due to their closing that is another fantastic option. The only reason I decided to talk about LEC exclusively was that I have no personal experience with M&O fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon- I would just wear the shit out of it and all that great wear and tear will come with time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're in NYC, it's worth checking out Uniqlo to see if they still stock their crew neck. Picked up mine for $20 last Fall and it's an amazing deal. Lots of colors and the stitching is a bit more subtle then those LEC ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew- When it comes to Uniqlo I only mess with the +j line because the normal stuff just isn't quality that I look for. The fit is pretty good, yeah, but the reason it's so cheap is because it doesn't last, at least from my experience.

    Also, I hate how it's become the new H&M, but that's just me being snobbish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been on the lookout for a decent marl crew for ages and haven't had much luck. They seem as hard to find as the perfect white T-shirt (I won't get started on that though). This one looks pretty good, I might try and investigate further.

    What I really want is the inside out one Nigel Cabourn does but I don't want to spend that much on a grey crew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do the M&O pants fit? any idea of the inseam length?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at a mall yesterday, went into Sears and they had a whole mens and womens LEC section. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the whole idea behind a sweatshirt was that fit is not a primary concern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RDJ- I have never owned any pants from M&O, but from what I hear they fit pretty well...kinda like a slight slimmed up straight fit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old Trad- Fit is always a primary concern of mine. I wish I was as laid back as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. L.A.S. - I beg to differ on the Uniqlo quality issue. I've had some of their pieces for upwards of a year, consistent (1-2 times/week wear on some shirts) and no sign of any fall-apart at all. It's not a lifetime, of course, but they seem to be well made.

    In fact, having taken a look at some of the +J pieces from the current collection, it seems like comparable sturdiness.

    Just my $0.02

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, I'm glad to see this post, mainly b/c I was just about to buy a whole load of stuff from LEC, including this sweatshirt, but dropped it from my cart after looking carefully at the pictures. The sweatshirt looks comfortable, but the way it's hanging on that model (which should be the thing at its best, really) is slightly wrong in a way I can't really place. For one the fabric seems to be bunching quite a bit at the shoulder where it meets the sleeves. Given your experience and their return policy I think I'll probably just go ahead and try one out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may try Gap's crewneck sweatshirt... only b/c it's $28, so slightly cheaper than LEC and a hell of a lot cheaper than that JCrew mess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Club Monaco has a similar sweatshirt for about $50. It's cut fairly trim for anyone worried about fit (hopefully all).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paul- I have the gap one. It runs a bit slim in the body, and a little short. I sized up and then shrunk it down a bit. But it's pretty soft, and as I wash it is only starting to look better...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the M+O sweatshirt and I love it. I wear an M in most things, ordered one and it fits about how I want a sweatshirt to fit, not too tapered but definitely not too loose either. Now I just need to get it back from the lady.

    By the by, great blog LAS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is this available in the Land's End shop at Sears? I was thinking about trying one out for fit this weekend if it was.

    ReplyDelete