Saturday, March 20, 2010

Matt Singer Short Sleeve Oxford Popover

Matt Singer got some press (primarily a post on Mr. Mort) a little while back when he launched his own line or everyday basics for both men and women.  Singer's Jack Spade pedigree is on full display with the wide range of goods he has for sale in his online shop - there are shirts and bags, of course, but also ashtrays, a backgammon set, coasters, etc.  The oxford shirting for sale is impressive if not only for its utter simplicity.  There are only two styles, a long sleeve and short sleeve popover, and 5 colors (white, blue, pink, blue university stripe and pink university stripe).

The popover, or pullover, is one of those more "fringe" items that always seems to be met with unanimous supports from the men's style community.  Most guys seem to appreciate its old school feel and I am a big fan of them myself.  Singer's popover is made in the USA out of two ply cotton oxford, features a two and a half inch button down collar featuring a back button and a locker loop.  The shirt has a relaxed fit, which may make it a better warm weather layering piece more than anything else, but it's hard to deny how perfect these are in their simplicity - It's one of those items you see and think to yourself, "Why isn't everyone selling one of these?"  Singer's stylish creations are available now for $195.


-L.A.S

6 comments:

  1. Great find! I appreciate the mini locker loop on the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy got great stuff. All blatant influences aside. I'm feeling the popover. Post more options would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd snag this popover if it were like fitty bonez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lassie,
    You and I need to have a pow wow. Popovers? Very non-trad, sir. Very non-trad indeed. Also, a completely classless move, in my opinion. Camp shirts are allowed in only very very limited circumstances. Linen camp shirts are a great option. Full button placket of course. And while tacky, actually delightfully tacky, Hawaiian camp shirts are a delicious addition to any summering wardrobe. But you have to call it a summering wardrobe, not just simply summer wardrobe. Now, I'm sure there are other great fabrics to be used with the camp shirt cut. OXFORD?!?! NO, not allowed. Not with a camp shirt. POPOVER?!?!?! NO, not with any fabric. I'll continue my rant with this...

    The popover, or pullover, is one of those more "fringe" items that always seems to be met with unanimous supports from the men's style community. Most guys seem to appreciate its old school feel and I am a big fan of them myself.

    Unanimous support? In what circles do you swim? I've never heard anything positive about these abominations! Old school feel? These seem like a blatant grab at innovation. A failed attempt, at that.

    Be sure to look for these wretched pieces on the clearance rack in about a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Pop/pull overs are the jam kind sir. If I see some of these in a clearance rack, I'm pumped. I think these are a better option than a polo shirt, but that's just me.

    Find a solid long sleeve option. That's what I need in my life this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great product! Where can I purchase one?

    ReplyDelete