Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wednesday Morning Inspiration: Foreign Crime Films

In the past two years I may have not seen two better films than Gomorrah and Un Prophete.  Both films were highly acclaimed (Un Prophete was nominated for Best Foreign Film at this years Oscars and Gomorrah was "famously" snubbed last year) and deserved of even their highest praise.  Don't get me wrong, I want to see Hot Tub Time Machine as much as the next bro, but sometimes you need a new perspective on things.  I don't watch enough foreign films, but every time I do get around to sitting down with one and giving it the attention it deserves I see things in a new way - both of these films accomplish just that and in a very big way.  Gammorah and Un Prophete couldn't come more highly recommended from yours truly and if you're one of those people who bitch about subtitles get over it. C'mon, would you rather be reading a book?


-L.A.S

7 comments:

  1. Gomorrah... good call, ace.

    And, from a friend who splits time between Naples and London don't take comfort from it being 'fiction'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call both films are great. For me A Prophet is the best film of the year hands down, better than Hurt Locker etc IMHO. It's has ment that every pretty good film i'v seen since has paled in comparison. Good soundtrack too. G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gomorrah was dope - Un Prophete was even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gomorrah was solid, but I expect the book is better. Keep meaning to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I was just distracted by law school applications, but I just couldn't get into Gomorrah. I may give it another shot now that I have more time to actually concentrate on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you liked Gomorrah check out Il Divo. Best Italian movie I've seen in years. It's a biopic of nine-time Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti who makes Silvio look like a pussy cat. It looks and sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on Fergus, Il Divo is amazing, in fact anything by Paolo Sorrentino is great especially The Consequences of Love. Classic Italian cinema.

    ReplyDelete