Tuesday, April 20, 2010

511 Ways To Save

511 might be an exaggeration so how about 1 instead?  The arguement surrounding the best cut of Levi's is a wholly personal one depending on age, style and the like.  Everyone's got their favorite and that's fine by me - I am open enough that I can see all their merits.  With that said, I think the 511 are winners, especially the "trousers".  A few times on this blog I have refered to the 511 cut as a tad "hipster-ish" and I am sure a lot of you will probably agree.  They are one the skinnier side, but by buying the 511's in a cotton twill, as oppose to denim, I think you help alleviate some of that hipness.  Not to mention Angelo swears by them and an endorsement of his is A-Ok in my book. 

The struggle to find a great pair of trim chinos, and for a reasonable price nonetheless, is an epic one - one which I have blogged about in the earlier days of Sart Inc.  Now I realize not everyone has 90 bones to drop on such a casual pant, so in the interest of those folks I felt it would be good to highlight the 511, which can be sniped at UO or Levi's.  If the 511 and its slim tappered leg is a little too slim for you it might be advantageous to check out the 514 trousers which rock a much more straight fit.  And if you're currently reading this because you finally got a second away from that nagging wife and rambunctious youngin's then you're probably scoffing at my nonsense in your 501's - I kid, I kid.


-L.A.S

17 comments:

  1. My favorite Levis cut--actually the only Levis cut I like. They're actually not that skinny in my opinion and see no "hipsterness" in them. I find them to be more slim but I'm just below the average height so maybe they look skinnier on taller gents?

    I've seen 511's go for $40 at Macy's. Check 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally a 511 guy. I have about six pairs of these in various colors and denim washes. I'm 6'2" and relatively thin. 514's are too baggy on me and the 510s are just too silly for a 40 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you all ever worn a pair of selvedge 501's? I didn't think I'd like them when I bought them (usually only wear slim cuts), but they're fantastic! I don't know if it's the stiffer denim or what, but the fit is perfect. I'd highly recommend trying them out...they're practically my every day staple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all this 511 or 514 shit is waaaaaay to f'n low rise. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there are countless different 501 cuts. I have a pair of LVC 1947 501s that I LOVEEE but the fit is just too baggy for me now. I'm gonna try out a 511.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jean pocket makes the chino a jean chino. Nothing wrong with this, but it tends to take away from the formality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enthusiast- Purists might call this a chino jean I guess. Don't wear em to work, but kill it on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lawrence, on the perfect chino tip, I always thought the first look in this video had chinos that are pretty spot on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXG3Z97Ad_w&feature=related
    I have no idea what make they are though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. "And if you're currently reading this because you finally got a second away from that nagging wife and rambunctious youngin's then you're probably scoffing at my nonsense in your 501's - I kid, I kid."

    This is me except for no wife and no kids. I would really dig 501s in twill though, it's a shame Levi's doesn't make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 511s are too tight in my basket. Or as Lyndon Johnson would say: "Between my...--belch--...and my bunghole."

    The 514s, on the other hand, are close to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have big thighs, and I've been told I have a "latin butt," so 501s fit me like a glove. I literally cannot squeeze 514s over my gams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 501 for me. Actually my favorite old pair of jeans I've had forever are 505s.

    I must have abnormally large thighs or something though. I mean, I'm 5'11, 160 lbs-ish (I'm skinny), when I put on 511s they're skin tight and look ridiculous. They never look that tight on the models. Actually, minus the taper, my 501s fit about like those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Size the waist up... You'd be surprised how much better the 511 fits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll scoff away in my khaki denim 501s. Love 'em almost as much as some of my indigo denim.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the way 510s fit. Especially the black twill. Most versatile pair of pants I own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a girl, but i really like the 514s. I like 511 too, but I don't need that many pairs of skinnyjeans. I like 514 because they fit neatly and are still slim in the leg. I'm not sure how dudes wear the 510s though because those things are tight as hell. I like them, but Jesus.

    ReplyDelete