Sunday, May 23, 2010

Topman Does Thom

Topman is one of those brands often accused of fast food fashion i.e. marketing inferior quality, cheap products that capitalize on the latest trends of the moment.  I'm not their biggest fan, but for those who don't have an illegal slush fun in Mexico it can be a decent option to get some fitted basics to round out your wardrobe.  As I was browsing their site this afternoon, looking for some double breasted blazer options, I realized that Topman was pushing a few sport coats that look like they were stolen from Thom Browne's showroom - seriously, we are talking blatant ripoffs.  I think this is kinda shaddy (I've talked about creative licensing on the blog enough as it is), but I guess if you really want some TB or Black Fleece gear this could be your starting point.  Topman makes no secret of what they do so you can't really blame them.  Their target demographic of skinny hipster-ish kids with meager incomes eat stuff like this up so I won't throw stones for a shrewd business decision.  So yeah, do you want some TB? Are you so broke that you wouldn't even be allowed to step foot in a Barneys? Well, here ya go.


-L.A.S

9 comments:

  1. Went to the Zara in Panama City (at the Albrook Mall) and noticed that they had some similar things going on, particularly the bottom two. They also had a couple skinny shawl collared jackets.

    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Q- Touche and since the Topman customer is no way also spending money on TB this seems to a compliment more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Their target demographic of skinny hipster-ish kids with meager incomes"

    Sigh, if only you knew what it was like in England... bros wear topman here. Like, the same people that would wear Ed Hardy tees in the US wear this shit here.

    Their dodgy material blazers like the jersey ones feel like shit IRL as well, though that said the fit is on point if you're looking for Opening Ceremony/BoO level skinniness, so they can be worth it if you fancy some Hedi Slimane type slimness in your suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why anyone would want to steal anything from a Thom Browne showroom is past me. Why anyone would pay for anything from a Thom Browne showroom baffles me. Why someone would try to knock off Thom Browne is perfectly understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Topman, Zara are the devil

    ReplyDelete
  6. topman clothes look like shit so maybe in the picture it looks wearable but not in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had heard about Topman through some (admittedly teenage) British friends of mine, so when they put a store here in Tribeca, I was there on opening day.

    "Disappointment" is not the word. It might have been my biggest fashion letdown of the year--this stuff is sub-H&M quality for more than twice the price. Cheap fabrics, terrible construction, and gross irregularities abound. I am not joking. Topman is the worst-made clothing I have ever seen outside of a dollar store.

    I am one of the aforementioned folks on a (very tight) budget, but I could never bring myself to shop there. Please do not foist Topman attire on your readers. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon @11:46- I'm not foisting anything upon anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also to anon at 11:46, mainline Topman is usually garbage, but the Topman LTD collection is normally perfectly acceptable in terms of quality. They even did a red chambray lol, shame it had whack stitching.

    ReplyDelete