Monday, August 2, 2010

The Continuing Conversation On Slim Chinos

Everyone seems really eager to talk about slim chinos so I thought it might make sense to continue the conversation on this lovely Monday.  When we last chatted about Dockers, their new Ivy inspired Ankle Chinos (or "Khaki Waders") had just hit the market.  Available exclusively at Urban Outfitters, then at Docker's own online store, these pants seemed to be just the tip of the iceberg for Dockers' big Fall 2010 "rebranding/relaunching".  I'm not sure how often you hit the Dockers website, but they have added some new slim styles to compliment their Waders.  Dockers has been running with slim fit for quite sometime, but recently have begun offering tapered models with leg openings more appealing to the younger khaki shopper (15" specifically).  The SF Tapered Khaki is exactly the same as the Khaki Wader, but adds 2" to the inseam enabling more of Dockers' customers over 6' to wear a pair of pants that don't look like a hand me down gone wrong (the standard 30" inseam on the Wader only works for a certain person), though I still don't understand the rationale behind refusing to offer anything longer than a 32" inseam.  So what does this all mean?  If your inseam is less than or equal to 32" you're set with another affordable option when it comes to slimmer chinos (The SF Tapered Khaki or The Wader).  If your legs happen to require a longer inseam, well, you're shit outta luck on the Dockers front.  It's a strange truncating of the slim chino wearing demographic for sure, but hopefully future releases will take care of this problem.


-L.A.S

14 comments:

  1. I'm 5'9" and own a pair of the Waders...they are simply the best fitting pair of pants I own. Keep their shape nicely, the ass doesn't become a diaper. I would put the fit alongside the W+H West Point Slims. Quality is surprisingly solid; they feel like a much more expensive pair than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all these major department store brands making slim chinos and what not trying to capture the slim fitting more understated classic trend going on right now you'd think there would me less people in our country dressing like shit. Unfortunately that is not the case. I just don't see enough people upgrading to slimmer chinos which doesn't make sense considering that now even Dockers makes a slim chino. The only people I see that have worn the slimmer chino pant are the ones who actually give a rats ass about how they dress. Maybe its just me but, where are all these chinos going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick KicklighterAugust 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM

    Anon -

    To men's style bloggers who purchase all of their classically understated yet dope/fresh/trill/gangster "joints" online and never actually leave the house. Slim fit chino hoarders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon @3:10- I guess it really is only style bloggers and their readers not named Patrick Kicklighter who are buying these slim chinos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon -

    According to my sartorially-non-inclined friends, "slim-fit" reads as skinny reads as "uncomfortable". Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that Patrick Kicklighter has been commenting on this blog lately and always seems to turn a potentially good discussion into a whole bunch of shit talk. This is just a style blog man. Hey, I think I found your niche.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a guy who leans more on the side of overweight than not, I sometimes get weird looks when I say I wear slim fit pants. People associate "slim fit" with "slim guy," not "slim cut" (probably because they don't know what "cut" means). Most overweight guys think they have to wear relaxed fit to be comfortable. Most overweight guys are wrong.

    On the other end of the spectrum, when I see a fit dude in baggy pants, I am completely confused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge supporter of the waders as well. Got 2 pairs and finally my "affordable slim chino" tears are dry. Best fit I've found in the price range.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ A-mar - there is no style anywhere on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although not technically 'slim fit' chinos, has anyone checked out the 'Graham Slackers' over at Bonobos?

    Also, Im really impressed with the blog, a very interesting daily read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these. Can't wait until more of these styles become available in Perth, Australia! :)

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fit looks very nice, however someone 6 feet and above this option is completely out of the question. Where can someone find this cut and range of colors for someone like myself who is 6 feet plus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post, I want to check out a couple of your other messages. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The slim chinos seems the version of skinny jeans. Clothes that we wear sometimes has to go with "in". Anyways clothes or chinos in this case are made or created this way; to go with current fad in fashion.
    what are chinos

    ReplyDelete